Monday, April 13, 2015

red sunflower prayer flag





I'm reposting photos of the prayer flag I made after the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant disaster in Fukushima, Japan. From what I understand, there are still many problems as a result of those events although we don't see much about it in the news anymore.

I wove, stitched and hung the red sun prayer cloth in March, 2011. In September, 2011 petals were attached to change it into a red sunflower because sunflowers absorb radiation -- and there was a sunflower planting project underway in that stricken region.

The red sunflower prayer flag has been hanging outside in the garden for the past four years, I believe it has served its purpose -- to release hopes and prayers for comfort and healing to all who were affected. What is left here now, the transformation of cloth and thread by time and weather, is something I love. For many reasons.

Today is a waning moonday in Aquarius. If there is something you are releasing, it's time to let go of the last of it. What remains may be something you love.

xo

9 comments:

  1. it does take many years for the problems created by an event like that one to dissipate....sometimes a lifetime. hope there is some good that has come from it as well....maybe disasters are meant to teach us something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it really loose so much color in 4 years? The center of the flower is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, and love how the flag has faded with the sun over the past few years. Beautiful! Good day for release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your prayer flag idea turned sunflower. A beautiful prayer for the people and the Earth.
    I just finished my flag India's Solace, going to post it on my blog and get it mailed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love your posts. I linked to this one from my blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely idea to change the prayer flag, being a lover of muted colours I like the faded flower, beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete