Wednesday, May 11, 2011

the blue dress

This is the bounty from a day of goodwill-hunting.

It's a sleeveless, floor-length indigo dress . . . 

. . . home-sewn on what seems to be discharged linen or rayon or ? The cloth itself has a 4" pattern repeat woven into it, looks almost like it was embossed.

I wonder a lot of things about this piece -- what type of dye was used for the original indigo color, what tools were used to make the discharged design, a bleach pen or a brush and bleach? A template was obviously not used. Any fine lines you see are either the treatment or creases, not stitching. It's just so interesting that someone did this much discharging on the dress or discharged this much cloth to make the dress, I honestly haven't been able to figure that out. At first I thought it was treated first, but then look at the hem up there. Anyway, it's pretty cool.

But I didn't buy it to wear.


18 comments:

  1. what a find...and I love the expression "goodwill-hunting".

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous find. maybe it was done with a resist, like batik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were meant to find that dress lol wonderful karma that lol
    Have you tried washign it to see if some of the dye is still in it?
    Ive got afew bits from charity shops, that still leached dye out and coloured afew odd bits of othjr fabric put in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, isn't it amazing what you can find at thrift stores? Thrifting is actually modern-day hunting, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna, you know, it very well could be batik -- I don't really have the background on dyeing to tell what's what! I hope to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyn, what a great idea to put other cloth in the washer with pieces like this. Of course, I didn't though. Darn it! But, you'll be happy to know that I put a square of white cotton in with some indigo-colored linens also found at goodwill, in the washing machine right this very minute. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find! It does look like it was resist dyed with wax. Regardless, it is beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jeannie -- I'm glad to get an idea of how it was dyed. I think I like it better cut up into squares than as a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, well I guess a person gets lucky sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your good-will hunting success.

    I am inspired by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Judy! There's a lot of cloth in this one dress and it's encouraging to find something that's both cool and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This fabric looks very much like West African indigo tie dye, or sometimes they use a paste resist. It's often done on cotton damask or jacquard, which would be the 'embossed' effect. It's very beautiful. You can see other examples here: http://fuggijaay.com/
    and here: http://www.anansevillage.com/home/ana/page_530_59/guinea_indigo_11.html
    and here:
    http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_africanart_textl8.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn! This is exactly what it is -- thank you, thank you. Oh my, I may love it even more now that I know what it is. I am absolutely amazed and almost speechless . . .

    ReplyDelete